Friday, September 19, 2014

The Childish Strategy of Leadership

Matthew 18.  The disciples of Jesus come and ask, "Who is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"

Jesus brings a little child and puts him in the middle.  "Anyone who becomes as humble as this child ..."

But wait!  There's something before that part.  
First, Jesus says, "Guys, unless you turn from your sins ..."

What's he talking about?
Well, maybe Jesus is talking to the disciples.  Maybe he's responding to their question.  Maybe he's tired of them jockeying to be number one all the time, tired of their ambitions, replying to their desire to be the favourite.  


"Get over your sin of trying to be first.  Become as insignificant as the child.  Then you're getting close."

The curse of leading
I'm always the guy in charge. I'm not great at leading, but it's where I find myself.  I'm a pig that way; I'm drawn to places where there is nothing, and I try to make something.  I'm rarely the follower, or the support person.

The world needs leaders.  Leadership is a gift, and groups need a leader, or they don't go anywhere.  


You can't disappear as a leader though.  People see you.  Often leaders like being seen.  
We're important.  And we know it.

It's hard to be the child when you lead.
People recognize you.  And God says, "You have your reward."

How do you let go of everything and be a child when you lead?

No comments:

Post a Comment