Monday, March 9, 2015

The slow pace of growing

I'm doing my Bible reading in Spanish.  Having to translate word by word makes me slow down and think about it a lot more.

Today I read Philippians 3.7-14.
First I read "I have lost everything to the end of knowing Christ, experiencing the power that is manifested in his resurrection, participate in his suffering and to get to be similar to him in his death."  

After that I journalled a bit - somewhat depressingly.  
"Maybe the Bible was written for older men who see life differently, because I don't get this yet.  I want to live in the power of the resurrection - that part is good.  But I'm really not interested in the suffering and death part, and the joy of knowing Christ seems weak at times."  Sometimes I'm afraid that I will never get it.

Then I translated the next few verses.
"Not that I have acquired all this yet, or that I am perfect.  However I continue forward hoping to obtain this, that for which Christ has obtained me."
Of course we're not there yet.  Like Paul, we can simply keep moving toward the goal, to one day win the prize.

So keep going, and good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment