Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Serving and maturity

The biggest leap in my understanding of God, and in understanding what it means to follow Jesus, trust God, and be human, is that God serves, and this our heart, our life, is to serve others. Maturity is in serving others. Growing in godliness is by serving others. True humanity is in serving others. Forget yourself, deny yourself, and serve others. This is the heart of everything.

Yet this is where I struggle. With my family - Do I do everything to serve them? My church - Do I do everything to serve them? People I work with, mentor - Do I do everything to serve them?

In my head I know this is the way it must be. I seek to know God, spiritual maturity.  The way to this is by serving others.

I want great things to be done through my life. To do this I fear I try to get others to serve me. It's backwards. I perpetually fight this. Get my family to fit my schedule. Bring others into my plans. Fight in the tension between doing what I want, and begrudging others when I have to do things for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment